Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tasty breakfast muffin
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter muffin pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. In a separate bowl combine 2 tablespoons of this mixture with the berries.
- In a large measuring cup or bowl whisk together the egg, milk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are combined.
- Gently stir in the berries.
- Evenly fill the muffin cups with batter.
- Sprinkle with the white sugar.
- Place in the oven and bake until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan.
This is a tasty muffin indeed. The blueberries go very well with the cornflour and vanilla flavour. The texture is slightly dense, but very nice (just like a cornbread should be). I like the sugar topping, it gives the muffins a nice crunch. It might be nice to try a cinnamon sugar version for autumn (leaving out the lemon). I reduced the sugar in the batter to 1/4 cup, which was plenty for me even though my berries were sour. Other than that made the recipe as stated and enjoyed it. I filled my muffin tins up to the top, so I guess you should easily get 14 muffin out of this making them the ordinary size. Thanks so much for sharing this tasty recipe with us, *Alia*!