Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A friend gave me this recipe awhile back and I converted it to gluten free this morning. It is a nice and tasty gluten free cake. The conversion is easy so I'll post the recipe as written and the gluten free portion will be in the notes section.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup mixed berry, unsweetened (Either fresh or frozen.)
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-inch round or 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour through salt.
- In a measuring cup or blender container, combine the egg, yogurt, melted butter and vanilla. Whisk or pulse to combine the ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix to combine. Spoon about 2/3's of batter into prepared pan. Mix the berries with the brown sugar and spoon over batter. Top the berries with remaining batter and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes.
- While cake cools, prepare the glaze and then drizzle over cooled cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Please note: If using frozen berries do not defrost.
- Gluten Free Notes: Use 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons gluten free all-purpose flour blend, 2 tablespoons modified tapioca starch and add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum. The gluten free version may require a few tablespoons milk to be added to the batter. Use your best judgement.
Very nice and easy to make dessert. I didn't use all of the glaze, just thought it was too much! I used a mix of blueberries and blackberries. Made for ZWT 9 and "The Apron String Travelers"
Aussie Swap #76: DELICIOUS!!! Made this coffee cake this past holiday weekend - outstanding and full of flavor!
Followed your recipe right on down, used a mix of frozen blueberries, raspberries & blackberries, & topped it with the glaze! This coffee cake was absolutely delicious, at least in the opinions of the 2 of us & a neighbor couple with whom we shared it! A nice keeper recipe, too! [Made & reviewed in I Recommend recipe tag]