Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a wonderful dessert on a chilly day. Three different types of berries bake in a crust and are topped with whipped cream and grated orange peel.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups fresh raspberries or 4 cups frozen raspberries
- 4 cups fresh blueberries or 4 cups frozen blueberries
- 4 cups fresh blackberries or 4 cups frozen blackberries
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup hot water
- whipped cream, for topping
- orange rind, for topping (optional)
- Heat oven to 400°F Grease 4-quart casserole.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in 4-quart Dutch oven.
- Add berries and lemon juice; toss until evenly coated.
- Heat to boiling. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Spoon into casserole dish. Mix flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg in large bowl.
- Cut in the butter until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Stir in hot water until soft dough forms.
- Spoon dough onto berry mixture. Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
- Garnish with orange peel.
Very tasty! I made a 1/2 recipe and used frozen mixed berries. It turned out very well. The fruit part of it was a bit "jelled" so I think next time I would just use a bit less corn starch and add more if needed. It's a keeper. Thanks!