Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins are healthy and delicious by themselves, but they are also excellent served with a little bit of low fat cream cheese! If you are using this recipe for a light desert, I would recommend creating a glaze for the top of the muffin. Mix together confectioners sugar along with some lemon or orange juice and drizzle on the muffins are they have baked and cooled, enjoy! I came up with this recipe when preparing lemon blueberry muffins. I have strawberries that needed to be used or else they would of gone bad so I decided to throw them in along with a few other ingredients. To lighten these muffins up I used egg substitute and less butter than are found in most muffins. Also I added wheat bran to give that extra fiber.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Prepare a mini muffin tray by either placing lining in the cups or greasing.
- Combine the first 4 ingredients together and set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar, then gradually incorporate egg substitute.
- Add lemon zest and orange juice to the sugar mixture.
- Gradually incorporate dry mixture into wet.
- Fold in blueberries and strawberries. I cut the blueberries in half and the strawberries in 4 to 6 pieces depending on their size. If you are using frozen fruits, make sure that the fruit are defrosted and drained of their excess liquid to prevent from watering down the muffins.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly colored on the top.
I've cooked and baked so many recipes from this site over the years, relying on other's opinions and reviews to help me weed out the bad ones before I attempt anything - but this is the first time a recipe went so far sideways on me I was compelled to write a review myself. The only alterations I made to this recipe was to double the strawberries (I had no blueberries), wheat germ for wheat bran, and I used full size muffin cups instead of minis. The result was an incredibly soggy mess. I know the additional strawberries were a contributing factor, however, the bake time, even when more than doubled (I ultimately left these in the oven for nearly 40 minutes) still couldn't save these.