Recipe by swguk
A good recipe to use up left over egg yolks. Lovely light texture but still firm and moist. Fresh tasting and excellent with coffee or tea. Enjoy!
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup egg yolk
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup chopped strawberry
- 1⁄2 cup chopped raspberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 F or 165 C and grease baking pan with butter. (I use a 10 inch cake tin or ring).
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the egg yolks and whole egg together until they are light in colour and slightly thickened. Sift in sugar gradually beating well after each addition.
- Add lemon zest, orange zest, orange juice and vanilla extract to egg mixture and fold in gently. Gradually add flour etc from bowl set aside, folding after each addition. Mixture will thicken. Add boiling water all at once and fold in quickly mixing well. Add berries and mix well. Pour batter into greased tin.
- Bake for 60 minutes Turn cake out onto a plate or wire rack after removing it from over and allow to cool. If you like you can dust the top of the cake with powder sugar.
- You can turn the cake out on a plate and put a piece of bread or paper towel on top of it then cover with cling film or saran wrap. I find that this keeps the cake nice and moist, even around the edges.