Recipe by Lainey39
A variety of delicious fresh berries, cherries and bananas make this shortcake extra-special. This dessert is guilt-free but doesn't taste like it. Recipe made for RSC #12.
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
This is easier then expected! Very easy to make the biscuits, I used my food processor to mix ingredients and the only change I made. Biscuits turned out lightly browned especially with the water/egg mixture brushed lightly on top prior to baking. Used fat/free coolwhip product and blueberries, strawberries, and bananas, and this made an excellent dessert. Thank you Lainey, am glad that I was able to make this delightful dish.
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cold light stick butter, cut into pieces (do not use tub butter)
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup fresh sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 cup banana, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free whipped topping (I use homemade) or 1 1⁄2 cups prepared whipped cream (I use homemade)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly mist 11-inch-by-7-inch glass baking dish with spray.
- Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda with pastry blender or fork.
- Cut in the butter until crumbly.
- Add buttermilk.
- Stir with a fork until sticky.
- On a lightly floured surface with lightly floured hands, knead dough gently, adding as little flour as possible, until a ball forms.
- Pat into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle.
- Using a floured 3-inch round biscuit cutter, cut out 6 biscuits.
- Transfer to the prepared dish, placing about 3/4-inch apart.
- Beat egg with 1 T water and lightly brush on to the top of each biscuit.
- Bake 13-15 minutes, or until lightly golden on top.
- Cool on rack 3 minutes.
- Cut biscuits in half horizontally, placing bottom halves on dessert plates; layer evenly with fruit.
- Top each with 1/4 cup whipped topping or whipped cream and a biscuit top.
- Serve immediately.