Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A classic buttermilk pie topped with strawberry sauce. Adapted from the May/June 2005 edition of the magazine 'Home Cooking'.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 medium lemon, zest of
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 8 whole fresh strawberries, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time and beat until well-blended.
- Add the buttermilk, vanilla and lemon zest. Mix well, pour into the pastry shell and bake for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350ºF and bake for an additional 40 minutes or until the custard sets.
- Cool on a wire rack and chill before serving.
- Serving: In a blender or food processor, puree the berries with the confectioners' sugar, top each pie slice with the berry sauce and one whole strawberry.
REALLY AN OUTSTANDING PIE! I had never had or made buttermilk pie, so this was a whole new ~ & wonderful ~ experience for me! We really enjoyed the taste of this dessert, & since it was so sweet, I was determined to get 10 servings from the pie! Didn't have fresh strawberries, though, so used frozen ones for the sauce! Thanks so much for another keeper recipe, & for a totally new taste treat! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Zaar Stars tag game]
This is quite the pie! I've never had or made buttermilk pie before so this was a new experience. Let me tell you, it's just delicious! It is very sweet, but that's what desserts are supposed to be like! I did bake mine for about an hour. I chilled it overnight and we had it the next day with the wonderful berry sauce. The sauce is outstanding and it gives it the flavor of strawberry shortcake. For the pie crust, I used "Recipe#339607", which is a flaky and tasty crust. A perfect combination with this pie. Recipe made for Gimme 5 Tag.
I grew up with buttermilk pie. The addition of the berries was different but wonderful. I was able to use 1/2 Splenda and 1/2 sugar. The berry sauce made an attractive finish to a beautiful pie. It is very sweet but oh so good!