Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from an old recipe book, and made my own. Less than one gram of fat and no cholesterol.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoonlemon, rind , finely shredded
- 2 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (if you use frozen do not thaw)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray large, 3" muffin cups with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl mix all dry ingrediants.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Stir in the buttermilk, applesauce and vanilla.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and stir just until moistened. Fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake 22 to 25 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes in the muffin cups.
- Then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Note: To make standard-sized muffins spray 12 2 1/2" muffin cups, fill 3/4 full and bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Cool as directed above.