Fresh berries are prolific in the Pacific Northwest during the summer, but we freeze them to use all year round. These are delectable in them morning or at teatime. The muffin is the perfect support for a mixture of raspberries, blueberries and blackberries, for a change try a single type. Fresh or frozen berries can be used. The topping is an extra delight, but can be ommited.
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup pecans or 1⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups mixed berries, see note below
- Preheat oven ot 350 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Stir in nuts and butter, mix until butter mixture is crumbly, set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center, add milk, butter and egg and mix just until smooth.
- Gentley fold in berries.
- Spoon into paper-lined muffin cups, fill 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle with 1 Tbls. of topping.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes, remove from pan, serve warm.
- Note: if using frozen berries, defrost first, and toss with 1 Tbls of the flour mixture.
Absolut lacker! Definitely delicious! I did make only half the topping and reduced the butter to 1/3 cup after looking at other reviews. Served your muffins and sipped Raspberry Iced Tea for a special raspberry afternoon with friends. Thank you momaphet for sharing. Made for an Unruly by an Unruly during ZWT6.
These were Berry, Berry Good Muffins indeed! I used a combo of frozen raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. After defrosting the berries, they turned into more of a puree than solid berries and then turned the muffin mix purple. I was afraid that might ruin the taste but they were very moist and delicious. I am anxious to try them with fresh berries and see what the difference in taste is. Update: I made again with fresh berries (blueberries and raspberries) and they were wonderful! I would give them 5 stars all over again! My hubby even loves them and he is not a muffin person.
Have not made this recipe, but wanted to comment on the muffins falling or not rising as much as usual. I think if you reduce the butter to 1/3 cup or less, the muffins will rise better. I would also use half the topping for the full recipe.