Recipe by LaurietheLibrarian
I have always wanted to make bagels and this is the result of several recipies and my own ideas for what may taste yummy. The bagels are chewy and sweet!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made for PAC, Spring 2007 ~ Having come to love the taste of homemade bagels, I HAD to try this recipe! These are really great-tasting, & once I got the hang of it, easy to make! Loved them all around, & the variations possible.... A recipe well worth keeping!
- 2 cups warm water
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packets yeast
- 5 -6 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit (I used snipped dried cherries and blueberries)
- 2 teaspoons raspberry extract
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal, for baking sheet
- nonstick cooking spray
- parchment paper
- 1 egg, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix the yeast, sugar, and warm water.
- Let sit for 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Put the extract in a bowl with your berries.
- Set aside for later.
- Mix salt in with the 4 to 5 cups of the flour, and:.
- With a strong spoon, mix in.
- When the dough gets stiff, turn it out on the table and kneed for 5 minutes adding flour as needed.
- Place dough in greased bowl (use non-stick cooking spray) and cover with damp cloth.
- Let rise until double in size (1 1/2 to 2 hours or so).
- Punch down dough and divide into 12 balls.
- I placed a spoonful of berries in the center of each ball, folded it closed and pinched it.
- Next, I used my thumb and made a hole in the bagel careful not to let the berries sneak out.
- After shaping bagles, place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper to rise for 15 minutes.
- While the bagels are rising, bring to a boil 12 cups of water and one TLB.
- of sugar.
- Boil bagels in batches.
- Boil on each side for a total of 5 minutes (they will look funny and bumpy).
- Take bagels out with slotted spoon and place on paper towel.
- Sprinkle cornmeal on the same parchment paper and arrange bagels.
- Brush each with an egg wash (you could sprinkle with poppy seeds or seseame seeds at this point).
- Bake bagels for 25-28 minutes at 400 degrees or until golden brown all over.