Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Quick topping for store bought angel food or pound cake to get dessert done in a snap!
- 1 pint fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 3 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- Place mixing bowl and beaters in freezer.
- Put washed berries in a medium saucepan with 1 cup sugar.
- Cook over medium hear, mashing and stirring occasionally.
- When hot add dissolved cornstarch.
- Cook until liquid is transparent and thickens.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Remove bowl and beaters from freezer.
- Combine egg whites and 3/4 cup sugar in chilled bowl and beat on high with electric mixer.
- When soft peaks form add berries.
- Mix on low until blended.
- Pour mixture over individual cake slices of choice to serve.
Delicious, sweet and easy! A perfect pair with recipe #121635 Shortcake Bisquits!
I used an angel food cake & strawberries for this & loved this different spin on Strawberry Shortcake. Very easy to make and delicious. I did beat the egg whites to a firm peak before adding the berries mixture. Thanks Laurie for sharing your recipe!