Prep 35 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A lovely rich berry dessert. One of my husbands favourites, he does not like regular tiramisu as he doesn't like coffee. I made this at Christmas time and have recently been asked to take it to a Baptism. Please note that the Almonds are Flaked, also in Australia we call Jello, Jelly..
- 85 g raspberry jelly crystals
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 50 ml Frangelico
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 250 g mascarpone cheese
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 24 Savoiardi cookies (Sponge finger)
- 1 cup berries
- 125 g almonds
- Combine jelly crystals and boiling water in a heatproof bowl. Stir until jelly has dissolved. Stir in cold water and Frangelico. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Using a non stick skillet or fry pan toast almonds over a medium heat tossing often, until they are a light brown colour.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks and sugar until pale. Gently fold in mascarpone and cream.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites to stiff peaks. Gently fold into cream mixture.
- Using half the biscuits, dip, 1 at a time, into jelly mixture. Arrange over the base of a serving dish. Cover biscuits with 1/3 of the cream mixture. Top with berries and sprinkle on half of the nuts.
- Sprfead another 1/3 of the cream mixture over the nuts. Dip remaining biscuits, 1 at a time into jelly mixture. Place over cream mixture. Cover with remaining cream mixture, sprinkle with remaining nuts. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight if time permits.
- NOTE: Frangelico is a hazelnut liqueur, you can substitute with orange juice if you prefer.