Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe was delivered to my e-mail by Quaker Oats. I'm going to store it here so it doesn't get lost. This recipe appeals to me because of the fiber in the oatmeal. It is also low in sodium (although I've been known to add a pinch of salt to my oatmeal)
- 1⁄2 cup Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (do not thaw, may substitute 1 can drained)
- For topping:.
- In a medium skillet, combine oats and almonds.
- Cook over medium heat on low for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until oats and almonds are lightly browned.
- Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Add oat mixture, mix well.
- For Oatmeal:.
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk and cinnamon to a boil.
- Stir in oats.
- Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cook 1 minute for quick oats or 5 minutes for old fashioned oats, stirring occasionally.
- Gently stir in blueberries.
- Continue cooking until blueberries are heated through and most of liquid is absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Spoon oatmeal into cereal bowls, Sprinkle topping over oatmeal. Enjoy!
I have tried a lot of versions of oatmeal and this one of my favorites! The crunch on top made this extra special and I felt healthy eating it! Loved the blueberries, but will try with other fruits when I don't have them on hand. Made for PAC fall 09.
This was just wonderful! I used old fashioned oats and the topping was just perfect on them. this is DH's new favorite way to enjoy his oatmeal. Thanks Queenie! Made for PAC Spring 2009!
Blueberries are one of my very favourite things to eat, so when I saw this recipe....I just had to make it. What a wonderful recipe. This is the sort of thing you'd find on the menu of an exclusive hotel or B&B. "Gourmet Oatmeal" Very quick to make too. You could also make the topping ahead of time and store in the cupboard. I can think of lots of things I could use it for!!! Great taste. Thanks for sharing QueenBee. I'll be making this often.