Recipe by Manami
I found this originally on foodnetwork.com in one of Everyday Italian episodes; First Time Dinner Party and have changed it ever so slightly. This is a true summer delight! The cookie recipe I found on Bitsy's Kitchen.com and they are not hard at all. These cookies can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container for 2 days or can be frozen for up to a month. Edited on 02/18/06 to add brandy to taste, we made it again and added 3-4 tablespoons of brandy and it tasted even better. We added it to the whipping cream - this is of course is totally optional.
Berries and Cream Mixture
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 1⁄4 cups blackberries
- 2⁄3 cup blueberries
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- grated lemon zest, garnish (optional)
- 3 -4 tablespoons brandy (optional)
Almond Lace Cookies (use 4-6 coarsely crumbled)
- butter, for baking sheet
- flour, for baking sheets
- 3⁄4 cup ground almonds, food processor
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter or 1⁄2 cup unsalted margarine
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Cookies (Make first):.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly butter then flour at least 2 baking sheets.
- In large saucepan, combine rest of the ingredients.
- Stir over low heat with wooden spoon until butter melts and ingredients are mixed well.
- Remove from heat.
- Place haeping teaspoon of batter 5" apart.(The batter will spread during baking).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until evenly browned.
- Remove from oven.
- Using a wide spatula, remove the cookies and immediately shape as desired, into tightly rolled cigarettes or fans, or allow to cool and serve flat. (These cool quickly - so know ahead of time - how you want them to look).
- Berries and Mascarpone Mixture:.
- Toss the berries with, 2 tablespoons sugar and lemon juice in a medium sized bowl.
- Let stand for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, stir in the mascarpone cheese in large bowl to loosen.
- Using an electric mixer beat whipping cream with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar,& pinch of cinnamon in another bowl to soft peaks.
- Fold 1/4 of the cream into the mascarpone cheese to lighten and also add the brandy only if desired.
- Add the sprinkling of grated lemon zest.
- Fold in remaining whipped cream.
- Using a slotted spoon, divide the berries among 6 plates.
- Spoon cheese mixture atop the berries.
- Sprinkle lace cookies over top.
- Drizzle the berry juices around the desserts.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!