Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
This recipe if from Diabetic Living and sounded really good to me... Thought I would share. If I were making this I would use the Splenda in a bag to lower the sugar more.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups nonfat milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 cups fresh berries
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy medium saucepan, combine sugar (if using), cornstarch, and salt.
- Stir in milk. Cook and stir, over medium heat, until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Gradually whisk about half of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks.
- Return all of the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Cook and stir, over medium heat, just until mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Quickly cool the custard by placing the saucepan into a bowl half-filled with ice water for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a medium bowl.
- Stir in sugar substitute (if using) and vanilla.
- Cover the surface with plastic wrap.
- Chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- To serve, divide berries among 6 dessert dishes.
- Spoon custard over berries.