Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A low fat, gluten free dessert from the National Cancer Institute.
- 1 (16 ounce) bagfrozen mixed berries
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of (orange part only)
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the berries in a saucepan on low heat.
- Stir in orange zest and sugar, and cover.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until berries are hot throughout.
- Drain excessive liquid and reserve for later use.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites with an electric beater on medium in a clean, grease-free, glass or metal bowl.
- When they're foamy, stop and add cream of tartar.
- Continue to beat; when soft peaks form, continue beating while sprinkling in sugar in a slow stream.
- Continue to beat until peaks are stiff and glossy.
- Working quickly, divide the hot, not-too-liquidy fruit among four oven-proof bowls or tea cups.
- (A slotted spoon is helpful here.) Dollop (spoon a puff on) and spread the meringue over each bowl, and place them all in the oven on the middle rack.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until the meringue is light brown and puffy, and the fruit underneath is still hot and juicy.
- Serve each bowl with a saucer or plate underneath, and warn others that the bowls are very hot.
A nice, simple dessert or snack.
Delicious and easy -- a great every day desert! I doubled the recipe using 1 bag of strawberries and 1 bag of blueberries and cooked it in an 8x8 dish. I cooked it for 30 minutes because of the bigger dish. Thanks Dale we will be having this often.