Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
From a magazine clipping from several years ago. Requires several hours for cooling etc.
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whipping cream, whipped
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a mixing bowl beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until foamy. Gradually add the sugar, beating on high until stiff peaks form (do not underbeat).
- Spread evenly in a greased 13x9x2-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 275°F for 1 hour; turn off oven (do not open door). Let cool in oven overnight or at least 12 hours.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; gently fold in cream and marshmallows. Spread over meringue. Chill for 4 hours.
- Cut into 16 pieces.
- Combine topping ingredients; spoon 1/4 cup over each serving.
Amazing! Easy but time consuming. And gluten free! I used light cream cheese, light cool whip instead of half the whipping cream, and fresh blueberries and strawberries to lighten it up slightly. Yum--a real crowd pleaser.
This dessert is fabulous - I first had it when a co-worker brought it in for a potluck. Everyone wanted the recipe! This is the exact version she makes (Betty Crocker). I make the second layer (cream cheese layer) at the same time that I make the meringue. Chill the cream cheese mix for at least 12 hours, but not more than 24. Also DO NOT open the oven door for at least 12 hours once the bottom layer has baked - that means turn it off and leave it! I have to say that this is sinfully good - it deserves 5+ stars!