Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this online at simple recipes - a great summer dessert using fresh berries from the market. I edited this recipe from the original I found online to be made with Splenda products (artificial sweetener and brown sugar) to reduce carbs/calories a bit. Also, this is yummy served along side a complimentary ice cream or gelato (vanilla, chocolate, coffee, etc.).
- 8 cups strawberries (etc) or 8 cups raspberries (etc) or 8 cups blueberries (etc) or 8 cups blackberries (etc)
- 1 tablespoon tapioca, instant
- 3 tablespoons Splenda granular, artificial sweetener
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular, artificial sweetener
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup light butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix berries in a bowl with tapioca, Splenda and lemon zest. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, both Splenda's, spices, and salt in another bowl. Stir in butter and almonds until course crumbles are produced.
- Pour filling into 9" sq or round pan (ungreased). Form topping into 1/4" to 1/2" crumbs and spread over cake.
- Bake until filling bubbles - about 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool 1/2 hour and serve warm.