Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Rösti often spelled Röschti in Switzerland according to the Swiss German consisting mainly of potatoes, similar to hash browns Many Swiss people consider rösti a national breakfast dish. It is more commonly served to accompany other dishes such as Cervelas or Fleischkäse. The basic Rösti consists of nothing but potato, Berner has added bacon.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs parboiled potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh minced rosemary
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- Peel the parboiled potatoes, grate into thin strips and mix with the salt.
- Heat the butter and lard (or all butter) in a non stick frying pan. Add the diced bacon and potato and fry gently, stirring frequently.
- Bring together into a cake and cover with an upside-down plate. Fry over gentle heat for 20 minutes.
- Pour the milk over the top and fry, covered, for about another 10 minutes. Tip out onto the plate and serve .
Very delicious recipe. I fried the potatoes in the bacon drippings and it was delicious. Threw a little swiss cheese over the top for some added zest. Delicious! Thanks Rita! ZWT 7.
This is delicious! I love the bacon in this. Made for ZWT7.
Another delightful recipe from Rita~! The bacon really makes this simple rosti into something special. I used some additional bacon drippings for the lard. Yum!