1/1 Photo of Bernard Clayton's Potato Bread (adaptation)
1 hr 5 mins
Easy bread recipe taking about 3 hours from start to eating. First-timers can be successful with this bread if they aren't intimidated by the slight stickiness of the dough. This is an adaptation from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads. The loaves are soft and evenly textured.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil the peeled potatoes in the 2 cups of water in a saucepan until fork tender.
- 2Place 3 cups of flour with yeast, salt, and sugar into a mixing bowl and blend.
- 3After potatoes are tender, reserve liquid, and rice (or mash) the potatoes.
- 4Add riced potatoes back into pan with the 1 3/4 cups (add more water if you don't have the total amount reserved) reserved liquid, and add the butter, heating until butter is just melted.
- 5Pour the butter/potato mixture into the mixing bowl with the flour mixture.
- 6Mix with paddle until blended and then change to dough hook to incorporate more flour by 1/4 cupfulls (adding a total of another 2 cups equalling 8 additions or a bit more until the hook and dough rotate easily together).
- 7Knead with the dough hook for 10 minutes.
- 8(dough will remain slightly sticky).
- 9Place dough into a large greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap allowing to double in volume; about 1 hour.
- 10When fully risen, punch dough down and move to a floured surface.
- 11Slice into 2 equal pieces.
- 12Flatten one piece into a long oval, fold in half lengthwise, pinch that seam, fold under the outer ends, and place into a loaf pan.
- 13With other piece, cut into 3 equal parts, rolling each piece into a long cylindrical piece with your hands.
- 14Braid these 3 pieces together, pinching and tucking in ends and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- 15Cover both loaves with waxed paper (or parchment) and allow to rise for an additional 40 minutes.
- 16During the last 20 minutes of rising time, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 17When fully risen, place both loaves in preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- 18After those 15 minutes, lower heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and continue baking for an additional 25-30 minutes until slightly golden and hollow sounding when tapped.
- 19Remove from oven and immediately and carefully place on racks to cool.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bernard Clayton's Potato Bread (adaptation)
Serving Size: 1 (1706 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1694.0
- Calories from Fat 242
- Total Fat 26.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 3680.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 315.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.8 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 43.5 g