Recipe by **Mandy**
This was posted for ZWT III, from Caribbean Choice. A lovely rich tasting rice side cooked mainly in the oven so no pot watching!
Top Review by MA HIKER
A nice rice dish - I made this as a one dish meal by sauteing some chicken breast strips with the onions & peppers and adding that in with the rice. Great, filling & tasty meal! Thanks for the post, ZWT 2007
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, minced
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, and their juices
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice, medium grain
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups water or 2 cups chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook the bacon in a an ovenproof pan until crisp, remove from pan, let cool.
- In the pan drippings from the bacon, over medium heat, cook the onion for 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper and sauté for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the tomato paste, the rice, salt, and pepper to taste, and the thyme, and sauté for 1 minute. Add the water and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and place it into the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the rice from the oven. Using a fork, fluff the cooked rice and mix in the crisp crumbled bacon before serving.