Recipe by Steve P.
I have not made this myself. It's for a request on the recipe request board. This recipe is meant to be stored in the refrigerator, so if you intend to can it you will have to follow directions for you canner for low acid foods and make any necessary adjustments and process accordingly.
Top Review by kitchengrrl
This was okay. The flavor sits on the fence. It either needs more peppers to make it DEFINITELY spicy, or it needs to nix the hot peppers entirely. Either way, it definitely needs more lime juice. About double, I'd say. It's also a little runny. Maybe I'm just used to the stiff store-bought jams.
- 3 lbs green mangoes, peeled,pitted,and cut into pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 -3 scotch bonnet peppers, finely diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded,diced 1/4 inch
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the mango, sugar, chili peppers and sweet pepper into a non-reactive pot.
- Place over medium heat and stir.
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Crush the mango against the sides of the pot and continue to cook until all the sugar has dissolved into a syrup.
- Cook for an additional 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add the lime juice and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Taste carefully and add additional lime juice if desired.
- Cool and transfer to covered storage containers.
- Keep refrigerated.