Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Bermuda onions are very tasty and sweet. If you don't have them, don't worry. Any good onion will do.
- 8 -10 bermuda onions, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups chicken broth, hot
- bouquet garni (parsley, thyme, bay leaf, tied together)
- fresh ground white pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons goslings black seal rum
- 1 teaspoon sherry pepper sauce (to taste)
- 6 rounds day-old French bread (toasted or sauteed and topped with Gruyere or)
- swiss cheese (to garnish)
- In a pot large enough to contain all the ingredients, saute the onions in the butter and oil until they are just golden.
- Sprinkle onions with flour and cook another 5 minutes or so, allowing the mixture to darken slightly.
- Stir in the hot broth, taking care to keep the soup free of lumps.
- Season with the white pepper, drop in the bouquet garni (remove before serving), the rum and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add a few generous dashes of sherry peppers sauce just before serving.
- Top each bowl with a round of French bread sprinkled liberally with Gruyere cheese and melted under the broiler.