Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My family recipe for johnny bread. Delicious! This tastes great cut open and spread with butter. Cheese is a tasty addition too.
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Cut the margarine or shortening into the dry ingredients until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the milk and egg and stir until well combined.
- Shape pieces of dough into 5-6 inch circles.
- They should be about 1/2 an inch thick.
- You then fry them in oil that comes atleast halfway up the side of the johnny bread.
- It should be a low to medium flame; too high and the outside will burn and the inside will still be doughy.
- They're done when they're golden brown on both sides.
- Depending on their thickness, it could take anywhere from 3-5 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels when done.