Recipe by byZula
Straight from back home in Bda!! If you ever visit Bermuda, you have to try fish chowder!
- 4 quarts water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs white fish fillets
- salt, to taste
- thyme, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 8 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 carrots, diced
- 2 ounces goslings black seal rum (or another good dark rum)
- 4 tablespoons pepper sauce (sherry peppers)
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, put the water, fish fillets, salt, and spices. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- In a frying pan, melt butter with oil and briefly saute onions, celery, garlic and green peppers. Then add tomatoes and consomme and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Transfer this mixture to the fish stock and add remaining ingredients. Simmer partially covered for 2 hours.
- Adjust seasoning. Serve soup piping hot and pass around the sherry peppers sauce and black rum to add accordingly.