Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Make ahead up to 2 days. For Causal fall or winter entertaining from Entertaining for a Veggie Planet by Didi Emmons.
- 1 cup uncooked yellow split peas
- 16 ounces firm tofu
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, fine chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peel minced
- 1 -3 chili pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 delicata squash, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt, add step 6
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄3 cup tamarind pulp or 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro or 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, minced
- Cube the squash unpeeled into 1 inch cubes. Use the small skinny chiles.
- In small saucepan, bring 4 cups water to boil. Add peas and simmer until tender but not mushy. About 35 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Wrap tofu in dishtowel or paper towels and press. Cube into 1/2 inch cubes. Salt liberally.
- In large skillet heat oil over med heat add tofu and onion and cook until onion is golden brown about 12 to 14 minutes. Use spatula and turn tofu and onion once or twice.
- Add garlic, ginger, chilies, coriander and cumin and saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in squash, salt and water. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Add the peas, tomatoes, tamarind pulp and heat through. Season to taste. Transfer to seving dish and garnish with cilantro or mint.
Good stuff! I used red lentils and their liquid instead of the yellow split peas and water with great success. That delicata squash is just so sweet and yummy. Thanks for posting.