Recipe by Liz Zzzz©
These little wreaths are a traditional Norwegian delicacy to nibble or use as a garnish on cakes or pies.
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups gold medal flour
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- candied red cherries
- green candied citron peel
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Mix thoroughly butter, shortening, 1 cup sugar, the orange peel and eggs.
- Blend in flour.
- Shape dough by rounded teaspoons into ropes, each 6 inches long.
- Form each rope into circle, bringing one end over and through in a single knot.
- Let ½ inch extend at each end.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Beat egg whites until foamy; beat in 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Brush tops of cookies with meringue.
- Press bits of candied cherries on center of knot for holly berries, and candied citron for leaves.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set but not brown.
- Immediately remove from baking sheet.