A recipe handed down generation to generation for over two hundred fifty years. From the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup baking chocolate, grated and melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups flour, sifted (amount is approximate)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1To make meringue: Beat whites until stiff; add 4 tablespoons sugar gradually, beating thoroughly.
- 2Fold in remaining sugar and vanilla.
- 3Preheat oven to 350F and grease jelly roll pan.
- 4Beat eggs; add sugar and beat thoroughly.
- 5Add melted chocolate.
- 6Sift dry ingredients together and add to batter alternatively with milk.
- 7Add almonds and stir until mixture is well blended.
- 8Spread 1/2 inch thick and bake for 20 minutes.
- 9After baking, cut into strips; frost thinly with meringue and brown slightly in the oven.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Berliner Bröt - Berlin Bread
Serving Size: 1 (32 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 50
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 107.4
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 21.3 mg
- Sodium 33.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 2.3 g