Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, finely grated
- 3⁄4 cup currants
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios or 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (190 c.). Grease an 8 cup fluted ring mold; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs until light and fluffy.
- Sift together flour and baking powder.
- Gradually add flour mixture and milk, alternately, to butter mixture. Stir in vanilla, lemon peel and currants.
- Batter should hold its shape when mixed, but should be moist enough to drop slowly off a wooden spoon.
- Pour batter into greased mold.
- Bake 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 to 10 minutes in pan, then turn out of pan on a cooling rack.
- Spoon melted chocolate over warm cake, coating completely.
- Sprinkle nuts over cake. Cool completely.