Prep 24 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Posted for RecipeZaar World Tour II, 2006. German Challenge. This recipe takes more than 12 hours...becuase the yeast needs to rise overnight.
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 6 g yeast
- 1⁄2 glass milk (warm)
- 90 g butter (melted)
- 3 eggs
- 50 g almonds (blanched sweet)
- 1 drop bitter almond extract
- 100 g raisins
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 pinch cinnamon (grated)
- 1 pinch nutmeg (grated)
- The evening before you want to make these, prepare the dough, mix the yeast into 1/3 of the milk and add 50g flour.
- Cover and leave in a warm place until mixture has doubled it's volume.
- Mix the rest of the flour and milk in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs until they are warm, in a bowl over a pan of boiling water
- Add the melted butter to your mix.
- Take half of this mixture and add it to the flour and mix well.
- Add other half of the mixture and work for at least 10 minutes, until very light.
- Add the dough to the mixture and work for 10 more minutes.
- Mix in half of the blanched almonds, raisins, orange zest and spices.
- Cover bowl with a dry cloth and leave to rise overnight.
- The following day, grease cake tin, sprinkle with remaining almonds, spoon in mixture until 3/4 full.
- Leave to rise for a further hour and cook in preheated oven at 325°F (160°C).
- Serve cold.
This is really tasty. The dough was really sticky and I was tempted to add more flour, but I'm so glad that I didn't as it turned out absolutely delicious. I only had slivered almonds so I used those instead. The recipe didn't say how long it needed to cook for, but in my oven it took 45 minutes. Yum!