Recipe by kiwidutch
Posted for RecipeZaar World Tour II, 2006. German Challenge. This recipe takes more than 12 hours...becuase the yeast needs to rise overnight.
Top Review by Kitzy
This is really tasty. The dough was really sticky and I was tempted to add more flour, but I'm so glad that I didn't as it turned out absolutely delicious. I only had slivered almonds so I used those instead. The recipe didn't say how long it needed to cook for, but in my oven it took 45 minutes. Yum!
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 6 g yeast
- 1⁄2 glass milk (warm)
- 90 g butter (melted)
- 3 eggs
- 50 g almonds (blanched sweet)
- 1 drop bitter almond extract
- 100 g raisins
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 pinch cinnamon (grated)
- 1 pinch nutmeg (grated)
Directions See How It's Made
- The evening before you want to make these, prepare the dough, mix the yeast into 1/3 of the milk and add 50g flour.
- Cover and leave in a warm place until mixture has doubled it's volume.
- Mix the rest of the flour and milk in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs until they are warm, in a bowl over a pan of boiling water
- Add the melted butter to your mix.
- Take half of this mixture and add it to the flour and mix well.
- Add other half of the mixture and work for at least 10 minutes, until very light.
- Add the dough to the mixture and work for 10 more minutes.
- Mix in half of the blanched almonds, raisins, orange zest and spices.
- Cover bowl with a dry cloth and leave to rise overnight.
- The following day, grease cake tin, sprinkle with remaining almonds, spoon in mixture until 3/4 full.
- Leave to rise for a further hour and cook in preheated oven at 325°F (160°C).
- Serve cold.