2 hrs 15 mins
a simple, but delicious recipe, that has its origins in the cauldron cookery of the Middle Ages, when a number of different dishes were boiled together in one large pot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the steak into small, neat cubes and place in a tall, narrow casserole that has been rinsed out in cold water.
- 2Stick the onion with the cloves and add to the meat.
- 3Rinse the carrots and celery in cold water, drain well and add to the meat.
- 4Season, then add the mushroom ketchup and the parsley bundle (bouquet garni).
- 5Do NOT add any fat, stock or water.
- 6Cover with a piece of kitchen foil and place the casserole lid firmly on top.
- 7Place in a saucepan of boiling water and stew for 2 hours, topping up the water in the saucepan as necessary.
- 8Before serving, discard the herbs and the cloves from the onion and then slice the onion and return to the casserole.
- 9Serve with boiled potatoes and a green vegetable.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Berkshire Jugged Steak
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.0
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 103.7 mg
- Sodium 142.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 35.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: