Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Thrifty and delicious. From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 medium potato
- 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutions)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 pie crust (either storebought or your own recipe)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Boil potato and mash.
- Add butter, sugar and salt; stir to a creamy consistency.
- Cool and add beaten egg yolks, milk, lemon juice and rind.
- Whip egg whites to stiff peaks; fold into batter.
- Pour into a pastry-lined pie pan and bake for about 25 minutes.