Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
The traditional "San Francisco" sourdough...sour and moist with a gorgeous crust and texture.
- mix flour and salt. Add starter mixing well.
- Add cool water slowly and mix well.
- Knead for 8-10 minutes.
- Place in a large well oiled bowl. Cover tightly with plastic and place in fridge overnight.
- Remove from fridge and let warm to room temperature-about 2-3hours.
- divide into baugettes, place on oiled baking sheet.
- Let rise another 2-4hours. Score tops with sharp knife.
- Preheat oven to 500. Place a pan with water in oven to make it steamy.
- Place sheet in oven and spray walls of oven 3 times, every 30 seconds.
- Bake at 500 for 20-30 minutes, checking after 15 minutes to see if the loaves need to be moved to cook evenly.
Great bread! I was so sure this was not gonna work with my starter, which is not as active as people seem to describe when they talk about theirs "climbing" and stuff. It didn't rise as much as I was hoping it would, but it did grow, and the texture is divine! I put a bowl of water on the bottom rack when I started preheating so the oven was nice and steamy by the time I put the bread in it, and I did the misting exactly as the directions say. Chewy and dense crust with a great crackle, and the inside was light and airy like sourdough should be. Thanks for the fabulous recipe. I'll definitely be making this one again.