Recipe by Mareesme
I was given this recipe years ago by a friend. I am not sure what country the dish "Barinzila" comes from, but hope you enjoy it!
Top Review by LousyChef
This was amazingly flavorful! Easy to make, and I actually didn't burn my eggplant this time (I usually do...LOL) I added fresh spinach leaves at each layer, since I needed to cook them, and it turned out great. I really wish there was more ham filling since I used only 1 eggplant and it didn't seem like enough. Next time I might double the ham filling and still use one eggplant. Thanks for a great dinner!
- 2 medium eggplants
- garlic salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups cooked ham, cut in cubes
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oil
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 dg.
- Peel eggplants, slice, sprinkle lightly with garlic salt and set aside about 15 minutes on paper towels.
- Saute onion in 1 T butter or oil, add ham and wine, and cook until wine nearly evaporates. Add tomatoes and simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pat eggplant dry, dust with flour and fry in 2 T butter or oil until golden. Drain.
- Layer eggplant, then a portion of ham mixture, another layer of eggplant, etc. in greased casserole dish and cover with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 dg. for 30 minutes.