Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I was looking for make ahead recipes for side dishes for Christmas dinner. I came across Bergy's Corn Stuffed Tomatoes and tried them. They were fabulous tasting and looked so festive. But I was concerned that the tomatoes might not hold up too well if made ahead. So I used the corn filling as a jumping-off point for a casserole corn dish. I like turkey bacon because it is lower in fat and calories but it can be very salty, and along with the Parmesan may give enough salt without adding more. Thank you to Bergy for the original recipe and the advice she gave me when I Z-mailed her!
- 2 slice turkey bacon, diced finely (can use regular bacon)
- 946.36 ml frozen corn
- 22.18 ml butter
- 22.18 ml flour
- 177.44 ml milk
- 2.46 ml dry mustard
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese, grated (freshly grated is best)
- 118.29 ml minced red pepper, minced (about the same size as the corn kernels)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Fry the bacon in a pan at medium heat until crispy.
- (If using regular bacon, drain on a paper towel when cooked.).
- Put a small amount of water in a pan, bring to the boil and add the corn.
- When the water comes to a boil a second time, take off heat and drain.
- Melt the butter in another pan.
- Add the flour and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and slowly add the milk while stirring constantly.
- Put the pan back on the heat and bring to a boil until the sauce thickens.
- Add the mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and Parmesan cheese and stir until the cheese melts.
- Add the bacon, corn, red pepper, and green onions to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Put in a casserole dish and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- You can make the dish ahead and refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temperature before putting in the oven and increase cooking time to 30 minutes or until heated through.
I can't rate it because I haven't had a chance to try it but I will shortly and I want to say thanks for the compliment that my recipe inspired you - This looks SO good