I was looking for make ahead recipes for side dishes for Christmas dinner. I came across Bergy's Corn Stuffed Tomatoes and tried them. They were fabulous tasting and looked so festive. But I was concerned that the tomatoes might not hold up too well if made ahead. So I used the corn filling as a jumping-off point for a casserole corn dish. I like turkey bacon because it is lower in fat and calories but it can be very salty, and along with the Parmesan may give enough salt without adding more. Thank you to Bergy for the original recipe and the advice she gave me when I Z-mailed her!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices turkey bacon, diced finely (can use regular bacon)
- 4 cups frozen corn
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (freshly grated is best)
- 1/2 cup minced red pepper, minced (about the same size as the corn kernels)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1Fry the bacon in a pan at medium heat until crispy.
- 2(If using regular bacon, drain on a paper towel when cooked.).
- 3Put a small amount of water in a pan, bring to the boil and add the corn.
- 4When the water comes to a boil a second time, take off heat and drain.
- 5Melt the butter in another pan.
- 6Add the flour and stir for a couple of minutes.
- 7Take the pan off the heat and slowly add the milk while stirring constantly.
- 8Put the pan back on the heat and bring to a boil until the sauce thickens.
- 9Add the mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and Parmesan cheese and stir until the cheese melts.
- 10Add the bacon, corn, red pepper, and green onions to the sauce and stir to combine.
- 11Put in a casserole dish and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- 12You can make the dish ahead and refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temperature before putting in the oven and increase cooking time to 30 minutes or until heated through.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bergy-Inspired Christmas Corn Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.1
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 29.6 mg
- Sodium 240.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 10.7 g