Recipe by Bergy
These pancakes are traditionally served with Peking Duck but there are many other savory fillings like Moo Shoo Pork. I will post several possible fillings and you will be able to find them among my posted recipes
Top Review by horseplay
The instructions looked daunting, to me, anyway, but it was really very simple and authentic-tasting. However, I found that by cutting the cylinder in 10 pieces, the pancakes were a leeetle too small for my taste. Perhaps cutting in 6?
Directions See How It's Made
- Put unsifted flour in a bowl.
- Pour in all the boiling water at once stirring with the handle of a wooden spoon (or use your mixer with the bread paddle mix and knead for 5 minutes).
- When the dough is cool enough to handle knead for 10 minutes (this step is not necessary if you used your mixer).
- Whether you do this by hand or with the mixer the mixture is ready when it is a smooth, soft dough.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into a cylindrical shape and cut into 10 equal pieces.
- Keep covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying out.
- Take one slice at a time and cut in two equal pieces.
- On a lightly floured board roll each piece into a 3" circle.
- Brush one side of one of the 3" circle pancakes with Sesame oil, brush the oil right to the edge.
- Put the second 3 inch piece on top of the first and roll both pieces out into a pancake about 7 inches across.
- They must be very thin.
- Cover with plastic as each is made.
- When they are all rolled out heat a skillet or griddle, do not grease it.
- Put pancakes one at a time on the ungreased surface.
- Cook over low heat until pancake developes small bubbles.
- Turn frequently so that both sides are cooked (You'll see a few golden spots).
- Remove from pan and gently pull the two pancakes apart.
- This should go very easy because of the sesame oil that you brushed between them.
- Pile the pancakes on a plate, Put waxed paper between them and cover tightly with plastic wrap so they do not dry out.
- These pancakes will keep several days in the refrigerator.
- To reheat arrange pancakes in a steamer lined with a clean tea towel.
- Cover and put over simmering water for a minute or two.
- To serve fold pancake into quarters.
- The pancakes should be soft and pliable.