Recipe by Bergy
This recipe is from the "Complete Asian Cookbook" I have not tried this recipe as stated but have posted it by request ( I am not even sure if I can buy sweetened canned bean paste here). However the dough is what I use for other steamed Buns and will refer back to this recipe when I post other fillings
Top Review by Miss Erin C.
My friend and I always go to Chinese bakeries when we travel and we always get "Bean Muffins" it was in honor of this that I attempted this recipe. They didn't turn out quite right, which I will not blame on the recipe, but on the Sweet Bean Paste. The dough is terrific.
Bun Dough (DAI BAO)
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar (Also known as berry sugar)
- 2 tablespoons softened lard
- 1⁄2 cup water (Apprx.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 (9 ounce) can sweet bean paste (Dow saah)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (for brushing)
Directions See How It's Made
- --------Instructionsfor dough----------.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl add sugar and mix, rub in the lard with your fingertips until evenly distributed.
- Add water and vinegar together and knead until a fairly soft dough.
- Shape into a ball and let it rest, covered, for 30 minutes.
- ----------Tomake the buns-----------.
- Divide the dough into10 portions.
- Mould each into a smooth ball.
- Roll each out on a lightly floured surface to a circle about 4 inches across.
- Put a heaping teasp of filling in the centre and gather the edges inward, folding and pleating to make a neat join.
- Twist dough to seal.
- Put each bun, join downwards, on a piece of bakers paper, lightly greased with sesame seed oil,in a steamer.
- Cover and steam for 20 min utes.
- Serve warm.
- (The cooked buns can be refrigerated overnight and reheated by steaming 3 minutes before serving).
- -------------Filling------------:The filling for this recipe is simply a teaspoon full of the prepared sweet bean paste.
- There will be other fillings for this dough in further Dim Sum recipe suggestions.