Recipe by Bergy
Major Grey eat your heart out! If you like chutney you'll love this one. Wonderful with a curry or a ploughman's lunch. Use it on hamburgers. It can be used in so many ways to spruce up your tastebuds.
Top Review by Derf
WOW!! Best Chutney ever!! I have not made this yet but was given a bottle by my friend. It is super delicious and I will be making it this comming fall. Served with our Easter ham, it was the perfect accompanimemt, a wonderfull rich warm taste. The craisins were a great idea, All the flavours, the ginger, the garlic, the caynne and chili all meld together beautifully!!Colonel Grey will certainly be eating his heart out!!! Thanks Bergy, a real keeper.
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 6 cups demerara sugar
- 5 lbs peeled cored and chopped apples (weight after peeling)
- 4 ounces fresh grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 ounce red chili seeds (in a muslin bag)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 lb dark seedless raisins
- 1 (170 g) bag craisins (sweetened dried cranberries)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat vinegar and sugar, stirring until the sugar is melted.
- Add apples and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat so it is just simmering. Continue cooking until it is very dark and a nice consistency apprx 3-4 hours
- Remove Chili bag after 30 minutes
- Put in sterilized jars and seal (I use the very small 1/4 pint size jars- this recipe makes 24 This size jar is just the right size for a small dinner party)i