Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
The secret this recipe is advance preparation. It needs to be made at least 4 hours in advance, and the dressing should stand for two hours before being added to the salad. From the Berghoff Family Cookbook. Prep time includes chilling time and standing time (for the dressing). Can be served hot, cold or at room temperature.
- 1 1⁄4 cups cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup minced sweet onion
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 large white potatoes, peeled, boiled and cut in 1/4-inch slices (about 4 pounds)
- 1 cup cooked chopped applewood-smoked bacon (3 ounces)
- 1 cup chopped scallion
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Cover and let stand for at least 2 hours.
- Gently toss hot potatoes with bacon and scallions.
- Stir in dressing and toss to coat evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4-6 hours, or overnight.
- To serve warm, heat in microwave.
This recipe is outstanding! Apple cider vinegar is the ingredient to make this recipe pop. I am asked to make this time and time again...how can I refuse! Thank you Chocolatl !
So tasty! I like the way the onions get sort of pickled in the vinegar, and the whole thing soaks into the potatoes. The only things I changed was to add the bacon at the last minute, so it would stay somewhat crisp, and to put just a little bacon fat in the dressing. The flavor is amazing. Rich and tangy.
We loved it! I used regular bacon and I added a tsp of garlic powder. IWe ate it at room temp and my whole family enjoyed it. Thanks, Chocolatl.