1/2 Photos of Berghoff Restaurant Creamed Spinach
From the Berghoff Family Cookbook. This recipe was secret until after the restaurant closed in 2006. It was the only dish in the restaurant that was not made completely from scratch--they always used frozen spinach.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chicken base
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (about 2 1/2 cups)
- salt and white pepper, to taste (optional)
- cooked crumbled bacon (to garnish) (optional)
- 1Place half-and-half, milk, chicken base, Tabasco sauce, nutmeg, garlic, and celery salt in a medium saucepan and heat just until simmering.
- 2Remove from heat, but keep warm.
- 3In a separate medium saucepan, heat butter over medium heat.
- 4Whisk in flour.
- 5Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- 6Slowly whisk warm milk mixture into butter mixture a little at a time, whisking constantly.
- 7Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until very thick.
- 8Stir in spinach and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 9Season with salt and ground white pepper if desired.
- 10Garnish with bacon and additional nutmeg, if desired.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Berghoff Restaurant Creamed Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 195.3
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 41.9 mg
- Sodium 125.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: