Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs 35 mins
- 2 medium sized eggplants, washed
- coarse salt
- 1 cup vinegar (red wine or white)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- red pepper, crushed, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Trim the ends off the eggplant.
- Cut in in half lengthwise, and then lay it flat side down and cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices.
- Put the slices layer upon layer in a roasting pan.
- Salt each layer with coarse salt and let sit for 2 hours. (The salt draws out the bitterness and moisture from the eggplant.)
- After two hours, drain and rinse the eggplant.
- Put the eggplant, the vinegar and the water in a stock pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and cook the eggplant until it takes on a translucent look, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- When the eggplant has cooked through, drain off half of the vinegar/water and put the rest, along with the eggplant, in the bowl with the oil mixture. Mix well.
- Refrigerate until cold.