Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs 35 mins
Make and share this Berenjenas En Escabeche - Marinated Eggplant recipe from Food.com.
- Trim the ends off the eggplant.
- Cut in in half lengthwise, and then lay it flat side down and cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices.
- Put the slices layer upon layer in a roasting pan.
- Salt each layer with coarse salt and let sit for 2 hours. (The salt draws out the bitterness and moisture from the eggplant.)
- After two hours, drain and rinse the eggplant.
- Put the eggplant, the vinegar and the water in a stock pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and cook the eggplant until it takes on a translucent look, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- When the eggplant has cooked through, drain off half of the vinegar/water and put the rest, along with the eggplant, in the bowl with the oil mixture. Mix well.
- Refrigerate until cold.