Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Here is another version of the distinctive Ethiopian spice mix that flavors many of their dishes. Use it to season grilled fish, poultry or meat during cooking, or sprinkle it on meat or vegetable dishes at the table. I found this recipe in Homemakers magazine.
- 8 teaspoons pure chile powder (ground dried red hot peppers) or 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 5 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3⁄8 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine and whisk together all ingredients.
- Store in airtight container.
Berbere is really king of all spices. It's great addition with many, many meals. I recommend people try it. If you can make it yourself and enjoy the complex flavor berbere will add to your cooking. Fassica.com
Wowzer! This is one hot spice mix! Very delicious and we will thoroughly be enjoying this sparingly. I like this mix of spices and can see this being very good on chicken, which seems to be what others used it for! Made for Dinner and a Movie, Part 2 for ZWT7. Thanks Dreamer! :)
This is a nice spice blend, I used it on sauteed scallops and I especially like the ground coriandor seed with it. I used a little cayenne along with the chili powder - Zing!Thanks for sharing Dreamer. Made for ZWT 7 for the Food.commandos