Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I haven't tried this yet.
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄2 cup dried onion flakes
- 3 ounces New Mexico red chilies, stemmed and seeded
- 3 small long dried hot red chili peppers, seeded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil or 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- Mix together the cumin, cloves, cardamom, black peppercorns, allspice, and fenugreek seeds. Place in a small frying pan over medium heat. Stir constantly until they release their fragrance, about 1-2 minutes
- Do not burn or discolor the spices. Cool completely.
- Combine the toasted spices and all the other ingredients, except the oil and wine, in a spice grinder or electric coffee grinder and grind in fine batches.
- This may take a few minutes. Keep your face away from the machine, as it will release a very spicy aroma that may irritate your eyes or throat.
- Place spice blend in a bowl and add the oil and wine. Add cayenne pepper to taste.
- Stir until thick and store in closed plastic container in the frig.