Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
African Spice mix
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- 8 cardamom pods
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds, whole
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 cup dried shallots
- 3 dried red chilies
- 3 dried Thai chiles
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In a small frying pan, combine the cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom pods, black pepper, allspice, fenugreek and Coriander seeds.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
- Place in a blender or coffee grinder used for spices, add shallots and whirl until finely ground.
- Discard stems and seeds from chilies. Break up the pods and process until ground.
- Combine with the toasted seasonings and the remaining spices.
- Refrigerate in a well-sealed jar or a tightly closed plastic bag.
I used this spice mix in Recipe #310558. I subbed cayenne pepper for the chilis, and added a little paprika. This was very easy and gives you the freshness of all the spices. A quarter recipe makes plenty for several recipes. Thanks!
I needed this for Yetakelt W'et and was so happy to find this recipe. I halved the recipe which gave me what I needed for the vegetable stew and left enough over to fill a small spice jar. The resulting stew was wonderful, in part because of this spice mix. Thanks, Rita!