Recipe by Dancer^
This keeps longer on the shelf then most seasonings. This will keep in the refrigerator for 5 or 6 months.
Top Review by Random Rachel
This had a great flavor! I didn't notice the huge amount of chili pepper called for so used chili powder for half since I happened to have a large vat of it on hand. I ended up with a small peanut butter jar full of berbere. My friends who have eaten doro wat in Ethiopia said the flavor was right :-) Thanks for sharing!
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 1⁄4 cups cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy saucepan, toast the following ground spices together over a low heat for 4 to 5 minutes: ginger, cardamom, coriander, fenugreek, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and allspice.
- Shake or stir to prevent burning.
- Add the salt, cayenne pepper, paprika and fresh ground black pepper and continue toasting and stirring for 10 to 15 more minutes.
- Cool and store in tightly covered glass jar.