Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This keeps longer on the shelf then most seasonings. This will keep in the refrigerator for 5 or 6 months.
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 1⁄4 cups cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a heavy saucepan, toast the following ground spices together over a low heat for 4 to 5 minutes: ginger, cardamom, coriander, fenugreek, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and allspice.
- Shake or stir to prevent burning.
- Add the salt, cayenne pepper, paprika and fresh ground black pepper and continue toasting and stirring for 10 to 15 more minutes.
- Cool and store in tightly covered glass jar.
This had a great flavor! I didn't notice the huge amount of chili pepper called for so used chili powder for half since I happened to have a large vat of it on hand. I ended up with a small peanut butter jar full of berbere. My friends who have eaten doro wat in Ethiopia said the flavor was right :-) Thanks for sharing!
This is delicious! I used this in Ethiopian Doro Wat (Chicken Stew) but will be putting it on all types of dishes...from omelets to popcorn to other Ethopian dishes! The recipe should be updated to say it make two and a quarter cups.
Cannot wait to make this... I love ethiopian foods, haven't had since I moved from Dallas.... !!!! Whhooo hooooo... Cannot wait!