- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 8 -10 small dried red chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot or 1 teaspoon dried gingerroot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a small frying pan, on medium-low heat, toast the cumin, whole cloves, cardamom, peppercorns, allspice, fenugreek, and coriander for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Discard the stems from the chiles.
- In a spice grinder or with a morter and pestle, finely grind together the toasted spices and the chiles.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Store Berebere refrigerated in a well-sealed jar or a tightly closed plastic bag.