Berberé (Spicy Red Pepper Paste)
- Toast ginger, cardamom, coriander, fenugreek, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and allspice in a heavy skillet for one to two minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let spices cool.
- Combine toasted spices, onion, garlic, 1 tablespoon of salt and the wine in a food processor or blender and process until mixture is a smooth paste. You can also pound mixture together in a large mortar & pestle.
- Combine paprika`s, red pepper, black pepper and the other tablespoon of salt in the heavy skillet. Toast over low heat one minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir water into skillet slowly. Add the spice paste. Cook, stirring vigorously, over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Store berberé in a jar or crock. After it has cooled to room temperature, cover with a thin layer of oil. This layer should be replenished after each use to help preserve the spice mixture. Store in refrigerator.