Recipe by Barb R
A really spicy and delicious Middle Eastern/African chicken dish. I marinated this chicken overnight and removed it from the marinade a few hours before cooking to dry the skin so it would turn out crisp. Preparation time does not include marination or "chicken drying" time. It's great with a fruited rice.
Top Review by rosslare
Most delicious and aromatic! I added some peppers and onions to the spicy juices oozing from the chicken, not to waste those wonderful flavors. Could add other veggies too, like pumpkin or green beans etc...
- 1 (4 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove giblets from chicken. Wash chicken and pat dry.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Place the chicken in a plastic bag, add the marinade and make sure the marinade penetrates underneath the skin and inside cavity. Refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight.
- Remove chicken from the marinade. Place in a rotisserie and cook according to manufacturer's instructions, or roast in 350F oven for 15 minutes a pound, or until cooked thoroughly.
- From Margarita's International Recipes.