Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A really spicy and delicious Middle Eastern/African chicken dish. I marinated this chicken overnight and removed it from the marinade a few hours before cooking to dry the skin so it would turn out crisp. Preparation time does not include marination or "chicken drying" time. It's great with a fruited rice.
- 1 (4 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, finely chopped
- Remove giblets from chicken. Wash chicken and pat dry.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Place the chicken in a plastic bag, add the marinade and make sure the marinade penetrates underneath the skin and inside cavity. Refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight.
- Remove chicken from the marinade. Place in a rotisserie and cook according to manufacturer's instructions, or roast in 350F oven for 15 minutes a pound, or until cooked thoroughly.
- From Margarita's International Recipes.
Most delicious and aromatic! I added some peppers and onions to the spicy juices oozing from the chicken, not to waste those wonderful flavors. Could add other veggies too, like pumpkin or green beans etc...
Absolutely delicious! The aroma while it was roasting was mouth watering. Thanks for sharing
You know, Sous Chef Bentley is right, the flavor of the harissa in this is surprisingly mild! I found it mild enough that my daughter could enjoy it. But the harissa being mild from the roasting allows that hint of lemon to peek through. Of course, those who love it spicy were able to add some harissa at the table. Everyone was pleased. Thank you!