Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Middle Earth Special Recipe. Posted by request.
- 1 1⁄2 cups strained cottage cheese (90 minutes in cheesecloth over a strainer)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped nuts, like walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 9 inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine the strained cottage cheese, flour, salt, sour cream, honey, butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, and 1/4 cup wheat germ.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and holding peaks.
- Gently fold egg whites into the cottage cheese mixture.
- Mix together the remaining wheat germ 1/4 cup chopped nuts of choice.
- Sprinkle evenly over bottom of prepared pan.
- Pour the batter on top and top with remaining chopped nuts.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.